DAILY TURMERIC DRINKS:
GOLDEN CHAI – this is similar to the spicy turmeric/ golden chai we have at my cafe
Boil the following together for a few minutes:
1 mug of any milk you like
½ teaspoon ground turmeric
¼ teaspoon ground ginger
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
a pinch of ground black pepper
Juice of 5 lemons or limes
1 inch ginger root
1 inch turmeric root (or powder)
1 teaspoon cumin seeds toasted lightly in a pan
Keep this in a jar and drink during the day, add 2-4 tablespoons in a mug of hot water and stir in some honey. Great for immunity and digestion! Read more about the benefits below:
Turmeric boosts your immunity:
– Turmeric is a root which contains curcumin, an anti-inflammatory active compound which inhibits molecules that cause inflammation in the body, in turn helping to boost immunity.
-Inflammation in the body is associated with chronic diseases such as heart disease, Alzheimer’s, cancer and diabetes.
-Research has found that even a small amount of curcumin in your diet can significantly improve antibody release in your body.
-Turmeric also reduces histamine levels in certain conditions such as colitis, cold sores, asthma and arthritis.
-Curcumin has antioxidant properties, which help to prevent free-radical damage, again boosting immunity.
-Furthermore, turmeric helps to detoxify the body, aid digestion and support the joints.
Turmeric, ginger, lemon/lime, honey shot to boost immunity:
– Ginger is another herb with considerable amounts of healing properties. Gingerol is one of 115 different compounds in ginger and considered to be the most therapeutic. It provides anti-inflammatory, antiviral, antioxidant and anti-bacterial properties. Ginger also helps cleanse the lymphatic system, which helps prevent the build-up of toxins in the body.
– Lemon and lime juice contain a high amount of vitamin C, which is great for the immune system. They also are alkalinising, thus preventing toxins from being created when the body is too acidic. Lemon juice is also an antioxidant and helps to cleanse the liver and digestive system.
– Honey is rich in antioxidants, which help protect the body from free radical cell damage. Free radicals help contribute to ageing as well as chronic diseases such as cancer and heart disease. Honey also has antibacterial properties.
– A shot: a daily shot of the above has a high amount of antibacterial and antiviral properties, great for boosting your immune system and helping protect against colds and flus.
In my book Prajna – Ayurvedic Rituals for Happiness, I write about Chyawanprash, a black jam filled with immune-boosting herbs, which is great to take daily, but especially right now!
There are other herbs to complete this pack of immunity such as Tulsi, Neem and Triphala. Read more here – Dr Deepa Apte is incredibly knowledgeable and you can buy all these herbs from her website.